WHAT EVERY CANTOR NEEDS TO KNOW:
Changes for the June - September 2021 scheduling cycle:
- Music ministry for the 5:00 PM Mass will continue to be streamed and led from the balcony.
- Music ministry for the Sunday morning Masses (9:00 AM and 11:15 AM) will be led downstairs. FB has occasionally found music ministry downstairs to be somewhat distracting, to which I have given some thought. Music has a specific role in the liturgy and engaging the assembly from the front is a long-standing tradition at Newman - one that we have cultivated and refined for at least 40 years. Even so, we can be sensitive to action on the altar in the following ways:
- Eliminating movement during prayers will come back automatically to more experienced cantors but needs to be stated for new and more experienced cantors. For example, organize music when there's natural movement in liturgy (i.e. when the reader is walking to the ambo).
- Place water bottles behind the pillar (or by the coat rack) and refrain from drinking in view of the assembly. I think it's OK behind the pillar.
- I'm encouraging parishioners to use their cell phones or tablets to access the worship aid, just to see if it's a viable alternative to printing. Last weekend I noticed older parishioners straining to read the words on their phones so stretched the size this week. I also plan to ask parishioners to tip their phones to the side. A smaller percentage of the assembly will have the words in front of them, which makes diction a priority. Go the extra mile to make sure that lyrics are clear - as if you're singing to a church full of folks with hearing aids.
- Let me know if you can't sing - only because there might be someone that I'd like to train...or give an opportunity to sing. (I do appreciate your kindness in finding subs, however.) We can work together on this; I just don't want anyone to feel badly or be offended if I make an alternative choice!